Application for Admission to Herding Academy
If you meet the requirements below, you may apply for a training bursary from the SA College for Tourism (Herding Academy). Applications will only be accepted in two window periods: March (for June intake) and September (for January intake).
- Disadvantaged, unmarried men and woman between 21 to 31 years.
- A genuine interest in wildlife as a lifelong career.
- Good English literacy – written and spoken.
- Good numerical understanding (basic calculating skills)
- Prepared to live away from home for 12 months.
- See Section A2 below for additional criteria.
SECTION A1: GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS
- The training bursary does not cover personal effects and the cost of travel to Herding Academy – totalling approximately R4,000.
Please note that we receive hundreds of applications per year. We only accept 24 herder candidates in three intakes of 8 students each.
- Courses start on 15 January and 15 June of each year. The course is one year, full time on campus, with a 12-day mid-year break.
Candidates may also email their application and supporting documents to Ruth Abercrombie – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Foreign students are encouraged to apply via email.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please contact us directly should you need assistance.
- We reserve the right to remove students who breach the Herding Academy code of conduct.
- The applicant must digitally sign the application form in the space provided
- Important: Where the applicant is a MINOR (under the age of 21 years), parent(s)/guardian must sign the application form where applicable
- The application for admission form will constitute the official registration and enrolment document upon acceptance of a learner’s application which will be confirmed by a formal letter of acceptance issued by the Herding Academy to the applicant.
- No correspondence will be entered into with unsuccessful applicants. If an applicant has not received a response from the Herding Academy the application should be regarded as unsuccessful
- Please ensure that you comply with the minimum admission requirements of the HERDING ACADEMY before submitting your application.
SECTION A2: DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED WITH THIS FORM BY APPLICANT.
(Please ensure that you have these documents ready before starting the application process)
- Copy of Senior Certificate (or Matric) equivalent qualification.
- Current curriculum vitae (CV).
- Copy of identity document where applicant is a South African national or passport for a foreign national.
- Copies of academic record/certificates.
- Health certificate.
- Copy of valid driver’s license.
- SAPS Police clearance certificate.
SECTION A3: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- HERDING ACADEMY must be notified immediately of any change of address/contact details after submission of the application.
- Please ensure that you provide contactable telephone numbers.
- Insufficient information / incomplete documentation would lead to a delay in the processing of the application or disqualification of the application.
- All applicants are expected to report to Herding Academy on a date determined by the Acceptance Letter. Failure to report on the said date will result in forfeiture of admission.
- Applicants should arrange beforehand for a bank account for personal financial needs.
- Applicants should also budget for the following:
- Transport costs to Herding Academy, and return journey.
- Allowance (pocket money) to cover personal expenses such as toiletries of at least R200.00 per month for the duration of the study period.